Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sunscreen and the Single Person

I've officially been in Hawaii one week and officially have my first sunburn!  I took advantage of not knowing much at work and still going through orientation and spent a Saturday beach hoping!  After seeing my hubby via Skype and talking about our week and weekend plans I set out to find an uncrowded beach near Waikiki.  One hint to anyone travelling to Honolulu and looking for an uncrowded beach near Waikiki...go early!  I left the area around 10:30 am and wound my way through the local streets to the seaside roadway and along the coast.  The first area I came to had signs posted that the lot was full!  I kept cruising along at 25 to 45 mph (no 65 mph speed zones in Hawaii) and finally came to the famous Sandy Beach.  I was lucky and only waited 3 or 5 mintues for a family to leave so I could get their parking spot.  I guess this is one of the "hazards" of living in Hawaii...

Sandy Beach was wonderful!  There was a great breeze, not too many people and the sound of the ocean was so comforting!  I wouldn't realize for several hours that I had one problem...I couldn't get sunscreen on my back!  Yes, my back is "as red as a lobster" and as warm as hot, fresh bread right out of the oven!  I'm guessing I need to buy spray on sunscreen or take my back scratcher with me next time!  The seas were a bit rough and warning flags were posted on the beach but I still had the chance to watch some surfing and enjoy the warmth.





I won't bore you with all the little details of the drive to the next beach (like the view of the ocean as I meandered along the coast with the warm, gentle breeze wisping my hair off my face)...  Let's just say I found anouther beach that had even prettier water and I took more time to enjoy the view and get more sun on my back!





Life in paradise does mirror life anywhere else.  After some fun in the sun it was back to the room for some chores.  Laundry, dishes and some cleaning was on the schedule.  Here is where I can ruin your idea of paradise...it costs an arm and a leg!  Some examples:
     The 2 french dips for $5 at Arby's - not here.  The regular combo of the french dip will cost you $8.99.
     The Big Mac combo with a large drink will cost you $6.99 in paradise.
     One load of laundry will cost you $1.50 in quarters (not counting the soap).
     A gallon of gas is now $3.49.
     A box of generic kleenex will cost you $1.66 at Wal-Mart
     A half gallon of chocolate milk will cost you almost $4.00
But the view from my itty bitty deck of the ocean and the mountains is priceless!

I won't kid anyone, the week has been rough.  My new co-workers have made me feel very welcome and remind me of people in the midwest; very down to earth, warm and sincere!  The hardest part has been being away from my wonderful husband and furry kids.  Don't get me wrong, I miss my friends and other family as well but lets face it, I spent all my time in Kansas with my husband and kids and coming back to a small room every night by myself can be pretty depressing.  Lots of tears have been shed by myself and Brent but at the same time we've talked, texted, emailed and Skyped so it could be worse!

Thank you to everyone for the emails, text messages, comments on facebook and prayers.  I know things will be rough but will eventually get better.  Until next time, keep dreaming of your own paradise and remember that dreams do come true!!!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks so much for keeping us posted on things in Hawaii. The pictures are a great feature to the blog and I enjoy your imagery in your writing. (That's the English teacher coming in out in me!) Anyway, hang in there! I think we'd all be feeling the same as you if we were in your shoes. Linda

Jeani said...

Sister friend, I am learning myself to embrace the change life throws, to trust in the One who knows, to choose to focus on the good things, and learn from the tough times. I love you and I will never stop praying! May God reveal Himself to you daily and may you soak up the wonderment before you!!