Sunday, March 21, 2010

Am I a College Freshman Again?

I started my day in Kansas during a winter storm warning on the first day of spring and ended my day in the tropical paradise of Hawaii with high surf warnings.  Can one day get anymore extreme than that?

My flight from Wichita boarded on time but due to the snow and ice we sat on the tarmac for about 45 mintues while the plane was de-iced before we could take off.  Needless to say we landed in Houston about an hour late and I had 10 minutes to get to my conecting flight.  Now if anyone knows me, you know I am currently out of shape and not known for running!  But I made it to my connecting flight just in time!  As I was huffing and puffing and trying to walk as fast as I could I kept hearing my name on the speaker system: "Would passenger Fletcher please join us at gate 4 for the flight to Honolulu."  I pannicked and tried to run faster.  Luckily the agents at the gate knew my plane had just arrived and were holding the plane as long as they could.  I was the last to board but did find places for my luggage on the 100% full flight!

The 8 hour and 45 minute flight went well.  I got to watch a favorite movie, The Blindside, 3 times!  I highly recommend flying Continental airlines! They were very friendly and even fed us 2 meals and a snack without asking for more money!  I landed in Honolulu at about 2:00 pm and began the journey to my temporary home away from home away from home.  I am in a very nice building that is mostly a hotel with a few rooms that are owned by others who rent them out.  I am on the 16th floor and have a view of the mountains, the ocean and lots of tall buildings.  On the way to my temporary home I stopped at Wal-Mart to buy some basic food to get me through a few days.  I'll tell you about Wal-Mart and Sam's another time, it's very unique!

I am unpacked and trying to get organized.  I feel as if I am a freshman in college again.  I very clearly remember my first week at Emporia State University.  I went a week early so I could go through Rush to meet people and it was the worst week of my life!  I called my Mom at least once a day in tears saying I wanted to come home.  I knew no one and no one was friendly and I hated it and wanted to come home.  My Mom kept telling me it would be okay and I would make friends and everything would be good.  While she was right it was pure torture getting through those first few weeks.  I feel like I am experiencing the same thing now.  I know no one, I am in an unfamiliar place, I am alone and I want to go home and be with my family.  I know the first few weeks will be torture but I am hoping that now, as then, I will get through it and become a better person.  But I will ALWAYS miss my best friend, husband, lover and rock - Brent!

Here are a few pictures of my new location.  Are you jealous?

The small kitchen that includes an apartment size fridge, two burners and a convection oven.  But I have to wash dishes (no dishwasher)!


This is the view from the front door and kitchen.  There is a queen size bed, love seat, table and two chairs.  When you sit on the love seat you sink all the way to the floor so getting out is not very ladylike!


The 42 inch flat panel tv and stereo system.  Perfect for watching the Final Four or Football!!!


One wall is all windows!  There is a small balcony (about 3 feet deep).  Can't do much on the balcony but the views are incredible!

It's rather cloudy up in the mountains this morning but I can see the mountains from the balcony. 

A view of Waikiki beach from the balcony.  Look how clear and beautiful it is!

Just incase you couldn't tell, here is a closer picture of the beach from my room!

4 comments:

Jeani said...

Wowzer!! Beautiful!! And yes, I like you had the HATE THIS LIFE transition as a college freshman. And, like you, I learned that eventually, it all works out. Best wishes and if NOTHING ELSE, enjoy that gorgeous view!! Love you sister! Will keep praying for you....

Karin said...

I'm jealous and thankful it's not me all at the same time! Wishing you a quick relatively pain-free transition.

Marysia said...

All the best Tammi! It looks fantastic. I hope you settle in quickly. Love you!

Dana said...

OH TAMMI!!!! THAT'S JUST AWESOME!!!

Hope you are enjoying yourself!!