Friday, March 12, 2010

Spring Forward in Kansas

11 days and counting and I think the "To Do" list is getting longer!  I'm beginning to think Hawaii is a foreign country and not part of the United States!  As part of the relocation package a company has been hired to assist us with transporting two animals to Hawaii and I'm thankful I have their help!  The rules, laws and paperwork to get two small cats to Hawaii is almost as big as the National Budget!

If you are planning to move to Hawaii and want to take fluffy with, be prepared for a 6 month adventure!  Because Hawaii is a state with no cases of rabies (and they want to keep it that way) they have very strict rules about importing animals to the islands.  Their directions are actually pretty straight forward but very lengthy and expensive.  The goal is to basically quarantine the animals at home versus in Hawaii.  With this I am hoping the cats will either be directly released to me when they arrive in Hawaii or at the very least spend one night in quarantine. 

We are trying to become accustomed to the time difference from Kansas to Hawaii.  This weekend Kansas will "Spring Forward" while Hawaii will not.  So come Sunday morning Hawaii will be 5 hours behind Kansas instead of 4!  I'm hoping I don't get the urge to call Brent when it's 7:00 pm in Hawaii; he might not be too happy with a Midnight phone call!

The weekend will consist of more preperations and gathering so everything will be layed out and ready for the moving company on Thursday.  I'm glad someone else will be packing and responsible for broken items but it's hard to hand over that control!  I also can't believe it will take 5 to 7 weeks for my household goods to arrive in Hawaii.  When they say "A slow boat to..." they really mean it.

I've received the information about the temporary housing being provided and I'm hoping the web is honest this time!  The "apartment" is located in a hotel complex and looks very nice!  I'll know more in about 8 days but until then here's a picture of the building: 


The location is west of Waikiki beach and is supposed to be away from the crowds and noise.  I'm just hoping I can hoof it to the beach the day before work so I have a little bit of color in my cheeks when I start work!

Don't forget to "Spring Forward!"

No comments: