Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Poem for the Newbies

The poem below was written by a co-worker of mine, Dave Twelker.  Dave has been with DFS for a little over a year.  He is the Benefits Manager for the West Group.  Dave is from California and seems to be enjoying life in Hawaii.  I have learned much from Dave in the 9 weeks I have been working for the company.  He is a very intelligent person with a great sense of humor.  The poem was written by Dave in one of his rare occasions of "inspiration."   He made this up for one of our department lunches a few months ago and it kinda sums up his impressions of working at DFS. I certainly agree with his view and wanted to share it with you.  So from myself and Dave, please enjoy - -

DFS: Celebrating the Years and Days
By Dave Twelker

Day One at DFS, I just love this store!
We’ve got Emilio Pucci, Cartier and Dior
The people are fantastic, everyone cares
And talk about luxury, there’s a Starbuck’s downstairs

Look at these brands… Marc, Ralph and Tag
Burberry, Chloe… I’ve just got to brag
I don’t want to go home, I just want to stay
Whattayaknow, I made it one day!

Day Two is here, it’s going fairly well,
There’s a lot of work to do, but I’ve got my Dell
Phone calls come in all hours, night and day
And mail comes from countries whose names I can’t say

Today I learned about Ex-cel and Ex-pat
An Intranet article tells how to sell a scarf with that hat
We strive to service our customers in many creative ways
Whattayaknow, I made it two days!

The next days were more challenging as I came into work
I should probably learn another language as an added perk
I should also learn SAP so I don’t look like a geek
Whattayaknow, I made it one week!

But first to dial Hong Kong… anyone know how?
Then what time is it in Singapore?...or in JFK, or Palau?
The fires are waning, the smoke’s beginning to clear
Whattayaknow, I made it one year!

There’s always time for some food and some fun
Sure, there’s a lot of work to be done
I wonder if they’re still hiring at Sears?
Whattayaknow, I made it two years!

Our office is moving? All our furniture, our whole clan?
Yes, we embrace change as part of our plan
Working at top speed, running in high gears
Whattayaknow, I made it five years

It’s special to celebrate the Years and the Days
As the calendar flys through the Aprils and Mays
We remember the beginnings, both the work and the fun
And all the special people we’ve met since Day One!

No comments: